Creative Commons - Web Developer/System Administrator
Creative Commons is looking for a full time Web Developer/Systems Administrator to develop and maintain the sites and systems that power CC on the Web.
This is a unique role which requires a focus on building scalable, rock-solid architecture to power our high-traffic websites, as well as an ability to move higher in the stack to implement new features or develop new websites and services.
Creative Commons has an office in Mountain View, CA and some staff that live in other states and countries. This position is open both to candidates located in Mountain View and candidates living within four hours of the US/Canada Pacific time zone (UTC -8).
This role works closely with the rest of the Creative Commons staff to support their IT needs, and must be able to prioritize tasks and requirements coming from different stakeholders including Creative Commons affiliates and community members who depend on or help maintain the sites.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Maintenance of core server infrastructure, both physical and virtual
- Development, testing, and documentation of websites and web services
- Support, tuning, maintenance, and documentation of our operating processes including builds, code deployment, patch management, and troubleshooting of issues
- Monitoring services and writing automation tools to enable robust, scalable services
- Handle problems from communication to implementing solutions, to post-mortems and process changes to prevent recurrence
- Help coordinate on-site and remote desktop support occasionally, as needed
- Comfortable with GLAMP stack, and common GLAMP apps (WordPress, MediaWiki, etc)
- Experience & passion supporting a production infrastructure
- Solid scripting knowledge (Python, Ruby, Perl, shell)
- Passion to automate and document everything
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues
- Knowledge of network services and protocols (SMTP, DNS, LDAP, etc)
- Config management and orchestration experience (Puppet, Chef, CFEngine, etc.)
- Experience deploying and optimizing services on AWS
- Track record of participation in free software communities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (but real-world experience is preferred)
- Collaborative, community-building atmosphere
- Office is an open pod setting in downtown Mountain View, walking distance to a myriad of restaurants, and easily accessible via car and public transportation
- We have a shared kitchen, catered lunches a few times per month, and host a monthly happy hour for staff and guests
- CC provides everything you need to do your best work which includes ergonomically sound equipment and a flexible work schedule
- Travel required (including international)
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject heading of “Web Developer/Systems Administrator Application.”
Find out more at: https://creativecommons.org/opportunities#webdevsysadmin