CivicActions - Systems Administrator
This position is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and free software at all levels of the stack. The System Administrator collaborates closely with development teams on a day-to-day basis, becoming highly familiar with development practices, as well as helping empower teams to understand and manage their own software deployment. Additionally, this team member participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation as well as ensuring that infrastructure and related procedures adhere to organizational values.
Responsibilities & Skills
- Work on our infrastructure team to continually mature and advance our platforms
- Planning and implementing migration of systems and applications between hosts with minimal downtime
- Managing a host of diverse free software technologies on both bare-metal and cloud hosting environments including Apache, Nginx, Fcgid, php-fpm, Jenkins, Docker, MySQL/MariaDB, RedHat/CentOS, SELinux, Drupal, Moodle, Composer, Scripting/automation tools, Zimbra and many others
- Working closely with clients, agile development teams, and security and compliance efforts, providing proactive support, including continuous testing and delivery automation and sandbox support
- Be available for pager duty and responsible for maintaining a schedule of personal availability. Responding to any critical alerts - must be able to respond nights and/or weekends, as necessary
- Passion for using technology to make a positive change in our world.
- Commitment to personal and professional development.
- Demonstrated technical and analytic proficiency, communication, documentation, and organization skills.
- Experience working in an operational role in a “Devops” culture, working closely with developers and projects using an agile framework (e.g. Scrum, XP, anban).
- Ability to understand business goals and communicate technical options, as well as anticipate and surface challenges and opportunities.
- Team co-leadership - lead detailed engineering discussions, monitor and review tickets, team deliverables, and the overall project process for quality, efficiency, and standards, and provide appropriate feedback and support.
- Experience working both independently and in collaboration with remote, geographically diverse teams - must be very comfortable working via e-mail, chat, IRC, audio/video conference, etc.
- Available full time.
- At least five years of experience with GNU/Linux based systems, and at least two with LAMP hosting environments (ideally Drupal and/or Moodle). An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- System administrator skills, with advanced knowledge of GNU/Linux operating systems and the command line. Demonstrated experience with PHP and either Bash, Perl, or Python scripting. Experience with configuration management systems (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef) a plus.
- Strong aptitude across common LAMP hosting stacks; including the GNU/Linux kernel, system, build and package management tools, performance diagnostics/tuning, web server configuration and monitoring, and LAMP hosting and deployment practices.
- Strong working knowledge of security access controls for GNU/Linux file systems, SELinux, iptables, sshd, MySQL, Apache, etc.
- Familiarity with federal standards and compliance frameworks (FISMA) a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of system and service performance monitoring, resource management and performance tuning.
- A working knowledge of networking and the essential communications between applications.
Why Choose CivicActions?
We believe the way we do business is as important as the product we create. We communicate openly, operate consciously, and acknowledge and correct our failures when they happen. We have adapted the agile software development methodology into our business operations and have created a robust and agile infrastructure to grow the company.
We're a positive, open-minded team that values diversity, flexibility, cultivating a healthy work/life balance, and supporting one another. At CivicActions, you get more than just a job - you join a team of people who are committed to your success. We're looking for people who think this sounds like a dream job.
If you are interested please send us your resume and portfolio: https://civicactions.com/careers/apply. Let us know what you do now and what you would like to do in the near future. We're excited to hear from you.
Women, people of color, and physically-challenged people are strongly encouraged to apply.