CivicActions - System Administrator
The job posting listed is written by the people hiring, and are not necessarily reflective of the Free Software Foundation. All jobs must relate to free software positions.
CivicActions is seeking a qualified and passionate Drupal/GLAMP System Administrator to join our 100% distributed team in a full time role. This position is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software at all levels of the stack. The Drupal System Administrator collaborates closely with development teams on a day-to-day basis, becoming highly familiar with development practices, as well as helping empower teams to understand and manage their own software deployment. Additionally, this team member participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation as well as ensuring that infrastructure and related procedures adhere to organizational values.
- Automate Drupal application and GNU/Linux OS security update management, including alert capture, evaluation, resolution and verification
- Increase system stability and uptime while decreasing false positive alerts
- Help to streamline sandbox development environment creation using Docker and Vagrant
- Support automated test environments and auditing systems
- Help define and develop community documentation processes that enable multiple sources and formats to be searched and accessed
- Identify, define, propose and implement other technical strategies that will better support our business, developers and clients
Responsibilities & Skills
- Work on our infrastructure team to continually mature and advance our platforms
- Managing a host of diverse technologies on both internal and client dedicated and cloud hosting environments including Apache, Nginx, Fcgid, php-fpm, Jenkins, OpenVZ, Docker, MySQL/MariaDB, RedHat/CentOS, Drush, Composer, Scripting/automation tools, Zimbra
- Be available for pager duty and responsible for maintaining a schedule of personal availability. Responding to any critical alerts - must be able to respond nights and/or weekends, as necessary.
- Passion for using technology to make a positive change in our world.
- Commitment to personal and professional development.
- Demonstrated technical and analytic proficiency, communication, documentation and organization skills.
- Experience working in an operational role in a “Devops” culture, working closely with developers and projects using an agile framework (e.g. Scrum, XP, Kanban).
- Ability to understand business goals and communicate technical options, as well as anticipate and surface challenges and opportunities.
- Team co-leadership - lead detailed engineering discussions, monitor and review tickets, team deliverables and the overall project process for quality, efficiency and standards and provide appropriate feedback and support.
- Experience working both independently and in collaboration with remote, geographically diverse teams - must be very comfortable working via e-mail, chat, IRC, audio/video conference etc.
- Available full time.
- At least five years of experience with GNU/Linux based systems, and at least two with Drupal hosting environments. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- System administrator skills, with advanced knowledge of GNU/Linux operating systems the command line. Demonstrated experience with PHP and either Bash, Perl or Python scripting. Experience with configuration management systems (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef) a plus.
- Strong aptitude across common Drupal hosting stacks; including the GNU/Linux kernel, system, build and package management tools, routine MySQL performance diagnostics/tuning, web server configuration and monitoring, and Drupal hosting and deployment practices.
- Strong working knowledge of security access controls for Drupal, GNU/Linux file systems, sshd, MySQL, Apache, svn, git, etc. Familiarity with compliance frameworks (e.g. FISMA, PCI) a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of system and service performance monitoring, resource management and performance tuning.
- A working knowledge of networking and the essential communications between applications.
Why Choose CivicActions?
We believe the way we do business is as important as the product we create. We communicate openly, operate consciously and acknowledge and correct our failures when they happen. We have adapted the agile software development methodology into our business operations and have created a robust and agile infrastructure to grow the company.
We're a positive, open-minded team that values diversity, flexibility, cultivating a healthy work/life balance, and supporting one another. At CivicActions, you get more than just a job - you join a team of people who are committed to your success. We're looking for people who think this sounds like a dream job.
If you are interested please send us your resume and portfolio: https://civicactions.com/careers/apply. Let us know what you do now and what you would like to do in the near future. We're excited to hear from you.
Women, people of color, and physically-challenged people are strongly encouraged to apply.