Skip to content, sitemap or skip to search.

Personal tools
Join now
You are here: Home Blogs Sysadmin Sonali's Internship work on the Free Software Directory, part 2

Sonali's Internship work on the Free Software Directory, part 2

by Free Software Foundation Contributions Published on Sep 21, 2018 10:54 AM
Contributors: Sonali Singhal
*For context, see the previous blog post, Sonali's Progress on the Free Software Directory, weeks 1-2* *Also, by the time this blog was published, more progress has been made. Stay tuned for more updates.* **Mobile view project** I made the licenses section of the Directory mobile-friendly by: * Changing table tags to divs. * Using media queries and mobileonly and nomobile tags that are provided by the MobileDetect extension to enable vertical table view for small screens. * Using if statements to hide headings for table cells with no content in mobile view. I added a mobile-friendly logo in the header and footer by adding `$wgMFCustomLogos` in `LocalSettings.php`. **Mediawiki Upgrade** I took up the task of upgrading Free Software Directory from MediaWiki version 1.27 to 1.31. This version is a long-term stable release of MediaWiki. This project has been a great opportunity for me to learn things like importing MySQL database and troubleshooting site issues on a GNU/Linux server. MediaWiki version 1.31 comes with more bundled extensions than in version 1.27, like a code editor and a mobile-friendly Timeless skin. I spent my time this week trying to get the site to work correctly, importing the wiki database, and then setting up a new wiki on the development server. To begin upgrading the wiki, I went through upgrade instructions given in , and then I downloaded the files for the new release locally and performed a GPG signature check on tar file using their public keys and signature available at . After verifying that the file is secure, I decompressed the tarball in /var/www. I went through the release notes of versions between 1.27 and 1.31, to get an idea of the changes that were made. Then I created a user in MySQL and used myloader to import the wiki database. The site wasn’t working so I checked for errors in Apache by checking error logs and used netstat and netcat to check if the Web server is running properly. After fixing a few other bugs, the site began working correctly. Then I set up the new MediaWiki installation, added new versions of extensions in the extensions directory, and added older customizations of the Vector module to the new code. **Things I plan to work on in the coming weeks** 1. Modify the Vector module further to obtain correct arrangement of content in the wiki. 2. Add semantic MediaWiki extensions to the new installation.
Document Actions

The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to advance software freedom — learn about our history and work.

fsf.org is powered by:

 

Send your feedback on our translations and new translations of pages to campaigns@fsf.org.