Your support made it happen! Over $500k for the FSF fundraiser
We did it thanks to you. The Free Software Foundation (FSF) had another successful winter fundraiser this year. For us, 2017 ended on a high note, by blowing past our fundraising goal of $450,000 (USD). Thanks to your generosity, we have raised over $500,000 to power up the FSF and support software freedom in 2018.
What does $500,000 mean to the FSF? As we said in our emails and blog posts, these funds will turn into:
- Upgraded technical infrastructure for FSF staff and activities, as well as GNU projects;
- An updated fsf.org (yes, we're as excited as you!);
- Resources and education for those looking to be better free software citizens and users;
- Support for GPL compliance;
- Review and certification of hardware for our Respects Your Freedom program;
- Fighting for a DRM-free world with DefectiveByDesign;
- Resources concerning the dangers of proprietary software;
- LibrePlanet, the annual FSF conference;
- FSF staff and volunteer presence at events and conferences around the world.
To top it all off, we ended 2017 with over 5,000 FSF members -- more than ever before. As over 85% of our funding comes from donations and membership dues, these members are vital to the FSF. We are powered by donors, members, and volunteers like you -- all of the work of the FSF is accomplished with your help.
Again, thank you so much for your generosity. We're excited to see what we can do together in 2018.