Wikimedia - Software Engineer
Wikimedia’s Mobile Web team needs you to optimize and evolve the infrastructure that powers all of our mobile projects. As we enter a world where a mobile majority becomes the norm we need someone who is fearless about taking our development and engineering practices and scaling them for the rest of the organization and code base. You’ll join a mature agile team and enable the whole organization and movement to become mobile proficient at building the largest collection of free and open knowledge that has ever existed.
- Help scale an infrastructure that currently targets 4 billion page views and is steadily rising
- Work on meaningful products that make a difference to humanity
- Know the web stack in and out (HTTP, HTML, JS, CSS, etc)
- Have multiple years of experience building large scale web infrastructures
- Understand how performance is an important part of any website
- Have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent work experience
- Gaining consensus on a free software project
- Standardizing development practices across large organizations
- Loving to experiment against the status quo
Show us your stuff! Please provide us with information you feel would be useful to us in gaining a better understanding of your technical background and accomplishments. Links to GitHub, your technical blogs, publications, personal projects, etc. are exceptionally useful. We especially appreciate pointers to your best contributions to free software projects.
Link to apply for this Job: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=o09WXfwM&s=fsf
The Wikimedia Foundation is a San Francisco-based nonprofit entity committed to building a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all human knowledge. Projects include Wikipedia, which contains more than 17 million volunteer-authored articles in more than 280 languages. As a collective, these projects represent the largest collection of shared knowledge in human history, built and edited by millions of people. The web properties are the most highly visited web properties running on free software in history. Wikipedia alone is visited by more than 480 million people monthly, making it the 5th most popular site in the world. The Wikimedia Foundation sustains and supports the volunteer community by providing the technical, and managerial, infrastructure and tools needed to continue their contributions.