User Experience Designer - Open Internet Tools Project at New America Foundation
The Open Internet Tools Project is seeking a user experience expert. This position is full-time and located in New York City.
OpenITP incubates open source projects that enable secure, anonymous, reliable, and unrestricted communication on the Internet. OpenITP's goal is to reduce the ability of state and non-state actors to impose censorship or other restrictions on Internet access and communications.
- Work with OpenITP partner projects on testing and improving the usability of their tools.
- Contribute to the usability of the OpenITP web site.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Multi-lingual experience: experience using and/or designing for at least one non-Roman-alphabet language; a non-RTL language is even better.
- Experience receiving/processing user feedback through ticketing mechanisms and field reports when in-person testing is not possible.
- Has done substantive work with an open source project, with that work visible in the project’s online archives.
- Has both desktop and mobile / small screen design experience.
- Experience designing interfaces that facilitate confidential and/or anonymous communications.
- Comfortable communicating in writing.
- Applicants should be available to travel to conferences and developer gatherings at least four times a year, some in the United States and some overseas (not limited to Europe).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter tailored to this position, along with references to your work. No phone calls please.
The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.