Sunlight Foundation - Software Developer/Civic Hacker!
The Sunlight Foundation is looking for an enthusiastic software developer to join our ranks in Washington, D.C. and expand the breadth and sophistication of our work with government data.
We collect huge amounts of information throughout the day from all over Congress, the U.S. executive branch, and state and municipal governments. We use this information to build powerful, useful websites (such as Open States and Scout; mobile applications (such as our Congress apps for Android); and APIs (like these).
We want to do more of all of this. If you take this position, you'll be asked to:
- Help us maintain and improve systems that serve millions of people.
- Find and incorporate new sources of useful data into our APIs and applications.
- Create new free software tools that solve real problems for Sunlight, our users and others in the open government community.
- Research and develop cutting edge ways of using our data to create innovative features and solve new kinds of problems.
- Notice what we're not doing but should be, and do it.
You'll also be asked to use a wide variety of programming languages and technologies.
Some technologies we use at Sunlight:
- Web, system, and tool development with Ruby, Python, and Node.
- Both SQL and NoSQL, with PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Searching lots of text using Elasticsearch and language analysis.
- Native app development on Android (Java).
You don't need to know all of these, but you should know a couple of them, and be able to learn some others.
Sunlight works in both cyberspace and the physical world, so in addition to writing code, it would be an extra bonus if you enjoy writing about your work, public speaking on Sunlight's behalf or meeting with people both inside and outside of government.
Developers at Sunlight contribute to free software projects, blog posts, policy papers and even enacted legislation. We are looking for people who are excited about using digital tools to make our society better.
This job is based in our Dupont Circle offices in Washington, D.C. You will need to live in the area or be willing to relocate.
To apply, visit the link below and submit a resume, cover letter and your contact information. We ask that applicants remove their name and other personal information from their resume and cover letter so that our candidate screening process can be conducted impartially. More details are available on the form submission page.
We will use email to confirm receipt of all applications. No phone calls, please.
Find out more and apply at : http://sunlightfoundation.com/jobs/190/