So you want to know....
A free software job is any job centered on the creation, promotion, oversight, support, sales, marketing or installation of free software.
Here are some common examples of free software jobs:
- GNU/Linux systems administrator
- Web developer using free software like PHP, Python, Ruby, Django and Apache
- Organizer working to install GNU/Linux or Open Office in elementary schools
- BSD installation and support, coupled with hardware sales
- MySQL database administration
- Bounties or short-term free software coding jobs
- On-site instructor for free software like Plone or MySQL
Here are some examples of jobs that don't fit the criteria:
- 20% GNU/Linux sysadmin and 80% internal support for desktops running a proprietary operating system
- Developing proprietary software applications, even if they run on the GNU/Linux operating system
- Jobs focused on proficiency with proprietary applications, even if some free software is involved
- Jobs that don't have anything to do with software at all
If you've got a free software job that you're ready to list, just email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll post it just as soon as payment is received.