EFF is looking for a Web Developer / Hypertext Hacker!
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit civil liberties organization based in San Francisco, is seeking a full-time programmer to help build web applications that protect and promote civil liberties in the digital world. The Web Developer will be responsible for improving and maintaining EFF's existing websites, creating new activism campaign sites and web projects, writing code to integrate with our CiviCRM database, and making sure things scale when our campaigns go viral. We'll also be counting on your creative ideas for future web projects.
EFF's web projects include content-oriented sites like EFF.org and Surveillance Self-Defense; activism campaign sites like the Open Wireless Movement, Defend Innovation, and Jailbreaking Is Not a Crime; our growing online database of FOIA documents; traffic-heavy petitions that fight legislation like SOPA and CISPA; cutting-edge, creative tools for Internet users to take action for digital rights you'll develop for EFF's new Action Center; and web-centric liberty-enhancing projects like Panopticlick, HTTPS Everywhere and the SSL Observatory. You'll have opportunities to build new free software for the open web and contribute patches to existing software that we rely on.
- Passion for using web technology to fight for online free speech, innovation and privacy
- Working knowledge of the complete web application stack (application, databases and operating systems)
- Ability to write custom web applications on demand
- Good knowledge of computer security, and especially web security
- Linux command line operations and shell scripting
- Ability to work with remote APIs and efficiently integrate them into web apps
- Working knowledge of git or similar version control software
- Appreciation of the power of good UI design and an interest in wielding it
- Strong oral communication skills and enthusiasm to support and collaborate with multiple teams around the organization
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a workplace where many things are happening at once
Would be great:
- Comfortable enough with contemporary front-end web development (HTML5, CSS3) for building attractive user interfaces
- Knowledge of Drupal and writing Drupal modules
- Knowledge of CiviCRM development
- Experience working with Salsa Labs
- Familiarity with Python
- QA/testing tools and test-driven development
- Experience with caching or CDNs
This is a full-time position based in EFF's office in San Francisco, CA. Salary is negotiable depending on experience, and includes an excellent benefits package. To apply, send a cover letter and your resume with links to some samples of your work to email@example.com. Please send these materials in a non-proprietary format. No phone calls please.For more information, visit the website: https://www.eff.org/opportunities/jobs/web-developer-hypertext-hacker