Creative Commons Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology Officer manages all aspects of the company's technology infrastructure and provides strong leadership in setting the overall technology direction and goals for the organization. Responsibilities are twofold. First, directly managing the staff responsible for supporting the technology needs of staff; managing the organization's intranet and internet services; directing the organization's varied development projects; ongoing technical oversight of the company's products and services; and solving the most challenging of technology development problems facing the organization. Second, the CTO is a visionary, looking beyond the existing curve with respect to opportunities and innovations that Creative Commons can explore and embrace to remain timely and relevant to its broad constituency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, lead and implement an ambitious technology strategy for Creative Commons.
- Establish technical priorities, standards, and procedures with input as needed from external technology experts.
- Oversees all programming and analysis activities including quality standards. Attracts and oversees a team of software developers building innovative, robust software both for company use and for public code release.
- Manages technology staff in carrying out the overall goals and plans. Ensures project timelines and budgets are met.
- Manages all activities relating to operations and maintenance of corporate computer and peripheral equipment including, but not limited to corporate servers and personal computers, data communications and storage, security, application support internet and various other internet and intranet services such as mail and web.
- Oversees the support of a number of different public web sites, including the company's home page, separate home pages for the company's various programs.
- Plans the technical infrastructure of the company's systems to accommodate future growth, including providing advice on and assistance in securing centralized technology solutions to support the corporate shared service model (i.e. one content management solution, one image archive solution).
- Facilitates and encourages external developer contributions to company technology projects and external free software projects that implement Creative Commons features.
- Establishes and maintains key partner and vendor relationships.
- Works with the CEO and development personnel to seek funding for the company's various technical projects.
- Represents the company in various technical fora. Coordinates with other outside communities, companies, and institutions to further Creative Commons'; mission, for example W3C and Mozilla.
University degree in the field of computer science, or another relevant discipline. An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to envision web-based services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems.
- Three to five years experience managing web application development.
- Three to five years experience with start-up companies.
- Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular web application framework.
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
- Has contributed to one or more free software projects.
- Knowledge of web standards.
- Experience with GNU/Linux system administration and web server configuration.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems, and revision control systems.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
- Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Financial Responsibility and Authority
CC technology budget projections and reporting.
Collaborative, community-building atmosphere grounded in an environment of mutual respect and trust. The facility is an open pod setting in downtown Mountain View, California, easily accessible via car and public transportation. Amenities include a communal kitchen and free parking. Laptop/desktop computer and ergonomically conscious office supplies and space provided. Travel required (including international).
- Reports directly to the CEO
- Works closely with: Technology staff, Management team, Development team, Operations team, Communications team, Legal team
- FLSA status: Exempt Full-time Employee
Original Posting: http://creativecommons.org/about/opportunities#cto