Activist Position at the EFF
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco's Mission District, is looking for a full-time activist to fight for free speech, innovation and privacy on the Internet and other technologies. If you are passionate about technology, dedicated to its role in building a better future and want to work alongside leaders in the field, this dream job is for you! As an EFF activist, your responsibilities would include:
- Communicating our sometimes complex technical and legal issues to "mom and pop" in a clear, compelling and concise voice;
- Developing energetic and innovative education and activism campaigns that engage both EFF's membership and the general public;
- Writing blog posts about EFF work in a timely manner;
- Maintaining the content of EFF's information-packed website;
- Working closely with EFF attorneys and other public interest groups; and
- Determining when issues deserve EFF attention and convincing others of their importance.
- Excellent writing skills;
- Experience maintaining and contributing to a blog;
- Strong familiarity with digital civil liberties issues;
- An eagerness to learn about new issues; and
- An ability to turn things around quickly and comprehensively.
In addition, knowledge of or experience with any of the following would be advantageous:
- Collaborative writing and editing;
- Professional journalism, or formal training in journalistic or creative writing;
- Organizing online activism for an advocacy-oriented nonprofit organization;
- Technical skills, including content management systems;
- International policy issues; and
- Design and/or illustration, especially rendering complex data sets through informational graphics or charts;
- Experience in audio or video production.
This is a full-time position based in EFF's office in San Francisco, CA. To apply, send a cover letter with links to 2-4 online writing samples and resume to email@example.com. Feel free to include links to additional supporting materials, as well. No phone calls please!