As part of our efforts to promote software freedom, we collect and organize information provided by our supporters that will be of use to people who want to use free software effectively or to persuade others to use it.
Resources for using free software
- Free Software Directory
- A searchable directory of over 6,500 free software packages.
- Free GNU/Linux distributions
- Full operating systems that are recommended by the FSF because they are exclusively free software.
- Hardware that supports free software
- Get information about hardware support for free software. Knowing which hardware devices support GNU/Linux is important not only for practical reasons — you want your hardware to work with the software that you want to use — but also for ethical and political reasons.
- Service Directory
- A directory of people offering their free software services for hire.
- LibrePlanet Wiki
- The LibrePlanet project is a global network of free software activists and teams working together to help further the ideals of software freedom by advocating and contributing to free software.
- Free software webmail systems
- Get started with free software webmail systems.
- PDF readers
- Find out about free software replacements for Adobe Reader.
- GNU Licenses
- Full copies of all the GNU licenses and related resources, including FAQs and how-tos.
Resources for promoting free software
- Mailing lists
- Join FSF public mailing lists for discussion and announcement of free software.
- Free software advocacy materials
- Handouts and graphics that might be helpful to you when speaking to people about free software.
- Audio and video recordings about GNU and free software
- Community reports of successful free software usage from all areas of computing.
- GNU Speakers
- People who can speak about GNU and free software at your event.
Other free software resources
- Jobs in Free Software
- Job advertisements of interest to free software supporters.
- GNU.org link list
- Links to a variety of other free software resources.
- Proprietary software information
- Proprietary software, nonfree software, is software that doesn't respect users' freedom and community. Learn more about why you should avoid proprietary software.