Heed this Dennis Bell
- Bilski ruling: a victory on the path to ending software patents — by Matt Lee — last modified Jun 29, 2010 12:53 PM
- As opinions form about the extent to which the Court ruling impacts the patenting of software, one thing is clear. The State Street ruling that in 1998 opened the flood gates to the patenting of business methods and software has been gutted, if not technically overturned.
- FSF Releases New Version of GNU Free Documentation License — by Matt Lee — last modified Nov 03, 2008 11:12 AM
- BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Monday, November 3, 2008 -- The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today announced the release of version 1.3 of the GNU Free Documentation License (FDL). This version of the license allows public wikis to relicense their FDL-covered materials under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) 3.0 license.
- FSF reboots its High Priority list with a grant and call for input — by Matt Lee — last modified Oct 01, 2008 04:19 PM
- BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Wednesday, October 1, 2008 -- The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today announced a "reboot" of its High Priority Projects list with an accompanying $10,000 grant from Worldlabel.com Inc. The grant will seed a new fund to promote projects on the list, and the FSF is calling for a community conversation about the biggest challenges computer users face using free "as in freedom" software.
- "Avoiding Ruinous Compromises" by Richard Stallman — by Matt Lee — last modified Sep 26, 2008 11:30 AM
- Twenty-five years ago on September 27, 1983, I announced a plan to create a completely free operating system called GNU -- for 'GNU is not Unix'.
- Thank you SGI, for freeing the GNU/Linux 3D desktop! — by Matt Lee — last modified Sep 19, 2008 11:56 AM
- In January of 2008, software code at the heart of GNU/Linux 3D applications was discovered to be non-free—a potential disaster for free software advocates hoping to see advanced graphical acceleration now common on modern operating systems.
- Stephen Fry's film "Happy Birthday to GNU" now available in 24 languages ready for Software Freedom Day — by Matt Lee — last modified Sep 17, 2008 06:33 PM