Heed this Dennis Bell
- Response to Fox News Article — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 03:57 PM
- Jim Prendergast's recent article mistakenly called me a "leader in the open source community". While I appreciate the praise that might be read into that expression, it is not the case: I do not advocate "open source" and never did. I founded the Free Software Movement in 1984. "Free", here refers to freedom, not price; specifically the freedom to redistribute and change the software you use. With free software, the users control the software; with non-free software, the developer has control of the software and its users.
- Bolivia (2005-01-19 to 2005-01-27) — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 04:11 PM
- Visiting Bolivia provided an opportunity for me to spend a week with Tania. I had better explain that Tania isn't just my friend; she's my sweetheart. Since she lives in Colombia, it isn't easy for us to spend time together. I used frequent flier miles to get her a ticket to Bolivia while I was to be there. In arranging this trip, I agreed to go speak in Santa Cruz provided either I went there for a very short time or Tania could go with me. The day before going to Bolivia was when I learned that the trip to Santa Cruz had been arranged for both of us together.
- Conversation with a Parrot (2005-01-05) — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 03:53 PM
- This week I met Irene Pepperberg and Alex, the African gray parrot that she has taught to understand and use a large number of words.
- Blizzard (2004-12-26) — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 03:47 PM
- On Dec 26 I went home to Boston from Spain. About 40 minutes before arrival time, my laptop display died completely. It had previously shown a tendency to turn off occasionally, but suspending and unsuspending had fixed it before. This time no; not even shutting down the machine and removing the batteries made the screen function. I began to wonder how I could get any further work done until I obtained a new machine. Would connecting it to an external monitor produce a useful display?
- Visit to Marrakech (2004-12-19 to 2004-12-20) — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 03:37 PM
- I started writing this in the station in Rabat, after getting off the train from Marrakech. You could call it the Marrakech Express, or the Marrakech Local, because there's only one kind of train between Marrakech and Casablanca or Rabat. The trains are European, perhaps 30 years old--enough to seem less than new, but not enough to be quaint.
- Santander and Bilbao (2004-12-13 to 2004-12-16) — by Richard Stallman — last modified Jul 12, 2010 03:31 PM
- My short trip this month began with speeches in Santander and Bilbao, Spain. Traveling to Santander gave me a chance to see the beautiful rock-surrounded beaches; we also had time for a brief trip to the mountains of Asturias to the west.