Heed this Dennis Bell
- Steer clear of Android Market and its DRM — by Brett Smith — last modified Mar 09, 2011 06:08 PM
- Google recently made headlines after they identified some malware being distributed through the Android Market. Not only did they stop distributing those apps, but they used their "remote kill switch" to remove the apps from phones where they were already downloaded. This is a kind of Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) that all computer users should avoid.
- FSF announces new executive director — by Matt Lee — last modified Mar 07, 2011 02:54 PM
- BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Monday, March 7th, 2011 -- The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today announced the appointment of John Sullivan as its new executive director.
- Free software is what we humans are talking more about — by Peter Brown — last modified Mar 07, 2011 02:24 PM
- After six years as the executive director, today is my last day at the Free Software Foundation. And what a great time it has been.
- Exciting developments in GNU Radio — by GNU Radio — last modified Mar 07, 2011 01:24 PM
- Windows Phone 7 and Xbox ban GPL software — by Brett Smith — last modified Feb 28, 2011 02:56 PM
- Recently word started getting around that the terms for getting apps on Windows Phone 7, and indie games on the Xbox, have changed. Now, programs submitted to Microsoft cannot have any code licensed under a copyleft license. Even if a single file is licensed under a weaker copyleft license like the LGPL, Microsoft will apparently reject it.
- Boycott warning to companies considering joining MPEG LA's patent pool — by Matt Lee — last modified Feb 28, 2011 09:18 AM
- MPEG LA is asking companies to prepare to attack the freely licensed WebM format and its underlying VP8 video codec from Google.